Karthigai sweet pori/ Aval pori/Puffed rice flakes pori/ karthigai pori urundai/ south Indian recipe
karthigai/ karthihai pori is a very important dish/ sweet prepared on the day of karthigai. This is a neivadhiyam for lord annamalayar on the day of karthigai. Lamps are lit all over the house on karthigai.
- Aval pori/ puffed rice flakes – 4 cups
- Jaggery – 2 cups
- Coconut cut into small pieces – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Dried ginger powder (sukku podi) - 1 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tsps
1)Pour little water in the jaggery, and filter it as there might be some sand particles in the jaggery.
2) Pour half cup of water in a pan and add jaggery and turn on the flame.
3) Keep stirring the jaggery until it solidifies and comes to a state when a small spoon of this jaggery syrup (paghu) is put into water it could be rolled into a ball with your fingers.
4) At this stage add cardamom powder, dried ginger powder, coconut, ghee and turn off the flame.
5) Now, add the pori or puffed rice flakes to the jaggery syrup and mix it well.
6)Grease your hands with ghee and roll it into small balls. It is often better to roll the balls when it is bearable hot, otherwise the jaggery syrup will become hard.