Indian Traditional Medicine Omam Kali Recipe
Hindi-Ajwain English – Bishop’s weed or carom seeds
- Omam(carom seeds) – 100 grams
- Palm sugar – 150 grams
- Gingelly Oil – 250 ml
- Honey – 2 teaspoon
1) Soak omam/carom seeds for at least one hour and grind it well adding little water.
2) Mix it with little water so that it becomes semi-solid. (as thick as dosa batter)
3. Turn on the flame, pour the above mixture in a pan.
4. Keep stirring the mixture for 3-4 minutes, now add gingelly oil and continue stirring.
5. When it starts to solidify, add palm sugar and stir.
6) When all these comes together and thickens (ie. this stage is when you pour the kali with a spoon it should fall down. If it solidifies too much, it becomes hard to eat) add honey and turn off the flame.
Omam kali is an important post-natal recipe. It is given as a food to women after delivery, as it helps them regain health during delivery.It is also good for feeding mothers as it aids the digestion of babies. Apart from this, this is a natural cure for digestion related problems. Omam is a traditional medicine for phlegm. This recipe is used to get rid of indigestion, constipation and gastric trouble. Palm sugar which is added in this kali is rich in protein, calcium and iron. Gingelly oil, another ingredient , which has antioxidant properties are effective in the lowering of blood pressure and cholesterol. Thus, omam kali is a very healthy and nutritious recipe yet yummy!
Do not drink water for two hours after eating this omam kali. It is best to eat it at night before going to bed.